Thursday, September 10, 2009

My Experience during Preceptorship

Before the annoucement of the first batch for preceptorship, Sir Mergal arranged the order of the students who will have the preceptorship in an alphabetical order. Diana and I planned to meet at 7:30 a.m. on the day of preceptorship so we can have breakfast together at Jollibee. I, Diana, Julius, Eugene, Tim, Paul Marrion, Lindsey, Jayson and Michael were the first group for the 24 Hrs. preceptorship. while Diana and I were having breakfast, Jayson Rodel an intern of AUFMC laboratory arrived to give us instructions for the preceptorship. We arived at AUFMC at 8:00 a.m.. We waited for Ma'am Noemi who is the Intern Coordinator of the AUFMC laboratory. When Ma'am Noemi arrived my groupmates and i went to the second floor conference room for the orientation. Ma'am Noemi asked us to take our seats and she asked us if we have any ideas about intership and the rules and regulations. She emphasized the rules and regulations to us and showed us the automated machines that are being used in the laboratory. She also told us that we will have an examination before she times out of the laboratory. Ma'am noemi assigned us to our corresponding sections. I was assigned in the typing area and Immunology sections. I was so nervous that time because there were no staff or other intern who is on duty on my sections. so what i did was that i logged the Philhealth on the logbook which was so overwhemingly so many. it took me a long while and some erasures and corrections to finish my work properly. After finishing my work I went to other sections to check on my groupmates. i went to the Hematology section wherein i saw Sir Eugene who is so handsome at that time and so I approached him and asked him questions about Hematology. He discussed to me the principles, functions of the tests and the procedures that are being done in the Hematology section. I was so confused and shocked with all the informations and the new things that I am learning. i listened carefully to him, about the RBC, WBC indices and different tests like APTT and PT. I am very greatfull to him because eventhough he has a lot of work to do he still entertained my questions and answered them. After the long discussion I went to the Clinical Chemistry section wherein I saw Sir Dembo and i asked him about the machines that are being used in Clinical Chemistry. he showed me how to operate the machines and how to process the specimens. I learneda lot of things about lipid profile, AST, and other enzymes. After one hour I saw Ma'am Shey and i approached her. She is assigned in the Clinical MIcroscopy section. I asked questions on how they process the urine. She is so nice and so pretty. It was already 5:00 p.m. when i transfered to the Histophatology section where I met Sir Czar. I was not alone in that section because Tabuac was also present. I saw Tabuac processing specimens for staining. I am so scared that i didn't know what to do first. they were very toxic in the section and i am so confused on what to do.A peritoneal fluid specimen arrived at our section and i processed the specimen with the help of Tabuac. I didn't want to look like an idiot not knowing what to do that is why i asked questions for me not to do anything wrong and so also i followed the protocol. When Sir Czar left my groupmates and I stayed at the section and had conversations on how hard it is to be an intern. Ma'am Noemi went home already not even giving the said exam that she would have had given us. We were so happy because we didn't had the exam. Yahoo!!! It is already 7:00 p.m. when i should be rotating at the Microbiology section. I didn't go there because I am very terrified on the stories that i heard from my groupmates about the section. They told me that there were ghost on that section that is why I stayed at the Histopathology section. When dinner time is up Diana and I went to the conference room to eat our burgers beacuse we were on diet. After we have eaten we went down to the typing area and we were assigned to our new respective sections. Sir Benedict the head of thenight duty staff arrived. He divided us into two groups for the decking time. Well i am assigned in the group two. wherein 2 a.m. to 4 a.m. is the time for our deck. when our decking time arrived I am so glad because at last we can have our sleep so we can rest for awhile. We woke up at 5 a.m. and we started to replenish the sections and cleaned up the clutters from the spaces. the mornig duty staff of 6 a.m. arrived and thank God we finished cleaning up at the said time. After cleaning up I started again filling up the Philhealth logbook. At 8:00 a.m. my groupmates called me and said that we can already go home because we have finished the 24 Hrs. duty. When we logged out to go home and I felt so exhausted and dehydrated because of all the hard work and cleaning that I have done. I am so sleepy that time that I can't barely move my arm. I really had a great time on our preceptorship and I can't wait to start the INTERNSHIP already. : )

1 comment:

  1. Apple, It would look better if you created spaces in between It looks like one unreadable block, not very inspiring to read.

    ReplyDelete